Tuesday 21 September 2010

Wednesday 1st of September Day 1

THE FINAL COUNTDOWN

Sooooooo, this is me... at 45 years old and facing my demons. YIKES! Ouch! This is a far cry from what I was like 5 years ago when my treasure (hubby Will, 30) and I got married or 8 years ago when we got together. *big sigh*

BUT, there is no point crying over spilled soya/rice milk or all the crap I have eaten to get me into this (mis)shape. Having a constant struggle with some real nasty pain throughout my body doesn’t help. A sedentary lifestyle sadly is not conducive to burning excess calories. Alas…*another big sigh* what can I say. The world is against me.

THE NASTY (new pictures, weighing and measuring) will be done every 4 weeks on a Thursday although… I have one day’s head start because I wanted to start at the beginning of the month … right at the beginning … I know, I know! But there I am in all my … ‘gory’. *shudder* the real me is in there somewhere. This is not so much a diet as an excavation.

 

Wednesday 1st of September Day 1

“Statistics Day #1”

Chest 48 in.                                        Left Thigh 28 in                    BMI 34.9

Waist 44 in.                                       Right Thigh 27 in

Hips 53 in.                                           Left Upper Arm 15 in.

Weight 20st/280lb/127kg                  Right Upper Arm 16 in.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

So, back to the drawing board it is. All I am going to do is to plan a no-added-fat, very low sugar, very low sodium, ovo-vegan diet. What does that mean? I will have stuff with a tiny amount of egg in it like the meat subs I use, but egg is out for me. So I guess I am in between a vegetarian and a vegan. Feeding a family I have to be pragmatic and compromise a little bit.

 

Bits & Pieces

I have a few problems with portion size control so I did the following …

250g past = 4 servings

200g brown rice = 4 servings

Up to 10oz potato = 1 serving

1 c of any stew that includes meat subs = 1 serving

450g frozen vegetable = 4 servings

1c of dhal/ready to eat bean and pulses = 1 serving (per day)

Up to 200ml rice milk = daily allowance

 

I eat most veggies freely but keep an eye on sweet corn, parsnips, avocados, olives.  Seed and nuts are used very sparingly, as is sugar.

I do not use any kind of fat at all. I use some Quorn meat replacements (only the ones that are milk free but they do contain a small amount of egg white) and my local store's own brand of meat replacements (milk-free but small amount of egg white) Ideally I would prefer to use vegan meat replacements but I can not afford them so these are my compromise.

 

Breakfast:                                                                                          

2 Shredded Wheat, 125ml Rice Milk, 500ml water;

 

Lunch:

1 serv. Rice Salad, 500ml water;

 

Dinner:

1 serv. Colcannon, 1 veggie sausage, garlic salad, 2 X 500ml water;

 

Supper:

1 mug of tea with 60ml Rice Milk, 2 X 500ml water;

 

Recipes:

-Rice Salad (4 servings)

Ingredients:

250g brown basmati rice, 2 bell peppers, 2 onions, 326g can sweet corn, 250g soy yoghurt, 1 1/2tbsp mint sauce, 2tsp ginger, 1tsp chillies, vinegar,  salt and pepper to taste.

Method:

Steam rice, drain sweet corn, peel and chop onions, de-seed and chop bell peppers.

Mix cooled rice with the rest of the ingredients and chill for at least 1 hour, preferably over night.

 

-Colcannon (4 servings)

Ingredients:

200g kale, 2lb 8oz potatoes, nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste, veggie sausages, (poached egg optional).

Method:

Boil kale, boil potatoes, and grate some fresh nutmeg. Drain kale. Drain potatoes, reserving the liquid. Mash kale and potatoes together, adding the reserved liquid to moisten it to liking. Add nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste.

Microwave, poach or grill the sausages, (poach egg).

Place sausages, garlic salad (and egg) on top of the Colcannon and serve hot.

Comments:

I thought today went really well even though the measurements and weight was a shock.

No comments: